5 Favourite Equipment-Free Workout Moves
Cooler months can also bring unpleasant driving weather. So here are our top 5 favourite equipment-free workout moves that are great for those days you can’t make it to the gym due to the weather!
1. Begin with a full body stretch: when stretching make sure to get all those trouble areas that tend to be a bit more sore when your exercising. The extra stretching will help warm up those joints. As well, make sure you stretch each side evenly to avoid injury on one side over the other. Click here for pre-workout stretch ideas!
2. Step Up: Doing your step exercises to work leg muscle doesn’t always need to be done at the gym on the stair master. If your working out from home, use what you have on hand: run up and down the stairs for 2 minute intervals at 5 reps each. Or use a step stool or coffee table the same way. Stand in front of a stool, feet shoulder width apart. Right foot up, left foot up, right foot down, left foot down. 2 minutes, 5 reps
3. Plank : This is one of my favorite yoga poses that I incorporate into my daily gym routine as it is a great way to work all of our core muscles, leg muscles and arms. Lay face down on your mat, resting your palms beneath your shoulders and toes curled under. Push yourself up. Depending on your strength, you can push yourself up all the way or rest on your forearms. Keep your back, butt and legs all in a straight line. Breathe in for 10 breaths, release. Repeat for 5 reps.
4. Bridge Lifts: This is one of my favorite exercises, as I love having a nice toned tush, but this isn’t always the most comfortable move to do while at the gym. Thankfully you don’t need any equipment for this exercise and can do it in the comfort of your own home. Lay flat on your back, arms at your side, knees bent. Lift your hips and butt to form a straight line from your shoulders to your knees, all while squeezing your glutes. Hold for 5, and slowly lower back down. Do 20 reps.
5. Tricep Dip: This isn’t just one of my favorite gym exercises to help sculpt my arms, but I can do it during commercials of my favorite shows since the average couch is the perfect height! Sit on the edge of your couch or a chair, and place your palms facedown beside your thighs. Your feet should be flat on the floor and knees bent. Move forward until your butt is hovering above the ground and your feet and hands are in the same place as before. Bend your arms and lower your hips to the floor (almost like a backwards pushup). Push up. Continue 10 times for 5 reps.
* For added intensity, try raising one leg to be parallel to the ground while you bend your arms and push up. This will work those front thigh muscles!